We need a 2012 Farm Bill. Period.
Our message to Congress has been clear all year: We need a fair, sustainable Farm Bill, and we need it this year. They didn’t get the message yet.
Congress left town just as the current Farm Bill expired, and they didn’t bother to finish a new bill or extend the old one, leaving critical food and farm programs high and dry with no funding. So now, as we prepare for their post-election return to DC in just a few weeks, we’re letting Congress know once again that we need a 2012 Farm Bill — only this time, we’re not asking.
Will you join us? Over the next few weeks, we are joining a broad-based, national push for a 2012 Farm Bill. Our goal: 50,000 signatures. We hope your name will be among those counted.
For the sake of our nation’s health, our farmers, and our natural resources, we need you to do your job. We need a better Farm Bill, and we need it this year!
A fair, sustainable, 21st century Farm Bill must:
INVEST IN THE FUTURE OF HEALTHY FARMS, FOOD and PEOPLE
• Harness the economic power of local and organic food and small businesses to strengthen rural and urban communities and create jobs.
• Grow the next generation of American farmers by providing the tools, training and access to capital that beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers need to succeed.
• Ensure access to fresh, healthy food for all – including those in need and in our schools.
PROTECT OUR PRECIOUS AIR, SOIL and WATER
• Reward farmers for their environmental stewardship by fully funding farm conservation programs.
• Do not raid long-term conservation efforts to pay for short-term disaster fixes.
• Link federal crop insurance support to conservation of wetlands and fragile soils.
REFORM FARM SUBSIDIES and LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD
• Eliminate wasteful direct payments.
• Target support to working farm families by closing loopholes that benefit mega-farms and millionaire investors.
• Cap farm and crop insurance subsidies to improve fiscal responsibility.